Grade 8 is widely recognized as a stumbling point for vulnerable youth, with poverty and its effects being understood as the most critical risk condition.
“The Impact of School Transitions in Early Adolescence,” Child Development Vol. 65,
Seidman, E. et al. 1994
“Developmental Health and the Wealth of Nations: Social, Biological and Educational Dynamics,” Keating, D., & Hertzman, C. 1999
KidSafe ensures that for the youth we serve, the transition into adolescence is not one they have to make alone. KidLink is our youth transition program that connects the 30-40 youth graduating out of our break programs each year with the community programs and services they need to support a healthy transition into high school.
Through KidLink, we provide:
- A Transition Worker to work 1:1 with each youth to develop an integrated support plan
- Referral to free spaces in external community programs and social services that meet each youth’s unique interests and needs
- A monthly transit pass to help youth access programs and services regularly. A $52 gift can provide a youth with a bus pass for one month! Donate here!
- Program equipment (soccer cleats, sketch books, etc.).
- Monthly “Alumni Night” group activities with fellow KidSafe “alumni.” A $20 gift can pay for a fun group activity for one youth! Donate here!